28 February 2007

Collected Thoughts

Okay, so, now on top of the intermittent morning sickness, I am completely stuffed-up due to a cold or allergies (the trees are blooming here!). And, I can't take anything for it. So, now I drag around the tissues and the humidifier along with my wonderful Zofran (anti-nausea medicine). Gee, being pregnant is GREAT. :-)

My comments on the DePauw sorority debacle . . . but first, I think I have "talked" to more sorority sisters in the last week than I have in the last two years! Okay -- so, this whole issue struck a little close to home because my sorority closed due to lack of members at DePauw not too many years ago. I don't remember our house being the "dog house" and, in fact, I have some kind of memory that while I was there, we were actually the house that was rated most fun to party with -- because we were normal girls who had fun, and did not act all princessy and stuck-up.

But, since being somewhat princessy and stuck-up is the norm for DePauw girls (I think that's fair), my sorority was definitely regarded as "different" and not among the elite. And, within such a small community and at college age, it is hard to be different and not among the elite. I still remember being amazed when I was at Michigan for law school that nobody dressed up for class, nobody wore pearls to anything, and they CERTAINLY did not wear them while working out (a certain Ms. Hoopis, ring bells with anyone?). And, then I was amazed at myself that I was amazed.

From what I understand, the ills of the rush system at DePauw that allow some sororities to become anemic in terms of members and others to literally bust at the seams are going to be addressed in the next year. For me, that development is HUGE. If they do that AND DePauw has the balls (sorry for being crass) to kick Delta Zeta off campus, then, I still feel terrible for these girls, but there is hope. Otherwise, I am afraid that I may have to tell DePauw that they have managed to marginalize and devalue intelligent and valuable women, and I cannot support any institution that does that.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Where did you discover that DPU's actually going to do something about sorority cannibalization? I've been reading all the articles I can get my hands on but haven't noticed this.

I remember going to BU to visit and having a similar experience you had at Michigan. I was visiting a class and noticed that people were actually wearing jeans and T-shirts and looked comfortable.