04 April 2007

Vegas BabyMoon, Baby!

Brooke and I had our "babymoon" in Vegas this past weekend. I know, I know. What's the point of being in Vegas if you can't drink and you're not a big gambler? Well, the truth of the matter is that there is a lot to do there besides drink and gamble, and they have really great restaurants.

We used to live in a great restaurant town (Chicago), but, Charlotte is so not. Brooke said that he feels like we ate at more good restaurants this weekend than we have in Charlotte in a year! So, we stayed at the Venetian (it's all suites -- if I could have the room we had every time I traveled, I would be ecstatic) and started off eating at their Mexican restaurant, situated right on the "Grand Canal" complete with gondolas. Fabulous, yummy mole-type soup followed by smoked chicken quesadillas and a spicy beef torta (sandwich, in this case) -- all of which was just really good. For dinner, we ate at Zeffirino, one of the Italian restaurants at the Venetian. We started off with a blood orange salad that was to die for, and then I had this incredibly delicate sausage-stuffed pasta served in a parmesan cheese fondue. So good.

We continued our patronage of the Venetian exclusively the next morning and at the Grand Lux Cafe (an upscale Cheesecake Factory). I had this wonderful scrambled egg-white bruschetta and sparkling fresh-squeezed orange juice (in lieu of the Mimosa, of course). Then, I went to the Canyon Ranch Spa, which is, conveniently, in the Venetian! I had a really good prenatal massage -- a real massage, but, the table was adjusted to accommodate my baby belly -- and then an ice cream pedicure, where they served ice cream during the treatment.

Wow, talking about just that much food is making me kind of ill looking back on it and explains why I had managed to gain two more pounds than I was expecting, and was a little surprised on the scale at the doc's office this morning! And, I haven't even gotten through everything we ate!

I will leave the rest of the food for a later blog (perhaps), but, I can say that the highlight was going to the Beatles "Love" Cirque du Soleil show. It was wonderful -- we both felt that we could go back and watch it again and again. We had such a good time.

So, if you are going to Vegas soon -- stay at the Venetian (it's worth it) and go to see Cirque du Soleil. I got to see my cousin (her husband is secretary of state of Nevada, by the way -- are you impressed?), whom I really like and wish I got to see more of, and then Brooke's friend, Glenn, flew in and spent Sunday night with us. Glenn is one of the coolest engineers we know and he is lots of fun. That means we had social time with people we like sans le petit bebe -- we're adults! Yay!

5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

A babymoon. What a novel concept. Didn't get one the first time around. Pretty sure we won't have one this time around, either. But glad you enjoyed yours and got lots of great food!

Mercedes said...

We did not have a babymoon the first time around, either. But, we figured that we better take advantage of the grandparents not being completely overwhelmed with two little ones while we can! Plus LBT#2 will be tied to his mommy for a LONG time (due to breastfeeding), so, better enjoy my freedom now!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful babymoon. For anyone who may be interested, the site www.babymoonguide.com has info. on babymoon packages at resorts, inns and spas.

Mary Beth said...

Hey, look! Your first spammer!

Mercedes said...

Okay -- I do not endorse the website posted above and do not represent that its privacy policy is adequate for any purposes whatsoever, but, it is an interesting website, and I am leaving the comment in here! :-)