24 April 2007

New Vehicle

Okay -- moving on to much less troubling topics. So, we will be having the new baby in August and have been thinking that we should get a new car. We would keep Brooke's Ford Explorer and sell/trade-in my beloved two-door Acura 3.2 CL that is close to 100K, seven years old, and still drives and performs beautifully. My car has truly become just the vehicle I use to commute to work -- so, whatever car replaces it will have to be zippy, because that's how I commute. The two doors make it inconvenient for putting Drew in a car seat, and the car really cannot handle a rear-facing infant seat -- the passenger seat needs to be put so far forward that no one would be comfortable sitting there. But, then again, we hardly ever find ourselves using my car to cart around Drew -- we always use the Explorer, and it is hard for me to tell if things will be different with the new baby or not?

So, we have been going through the whole gamut of choices -- my employer provides an incentive for me to purchase a hybrid car, so, I have been thinking of going with the Honda Accord Hybrid or something similar. But, then again, I love my old Acura, so, maybe I should just get a new Acura?

And, then there is the horrifying part of me that really, really wants . . . . something like the Chevy Avalanche! King cab truck for Mercedes! I am truly amazed that this is something that I am even thinking about -- but, I would love to have a bed to cart around garden stuff and other messy/stinky stuff. And, with four seats for everyone and it being a truck, there will be plenty of zip and room.

I haven't actually gotten out there and test-driven anything, because I don't know if we will actually need the new car for months -- part of me thinks we should just push through until next spring and replace my car then (I love my Acura -- have I mentioned that?). :-)

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I'm just excited that I get a minivan this summer! Yeah! No more banging Joshua's head on the roof of the car as I try to get him in his seat!

Have fun test-driving!

Kat E said...

I would love to get a hybrid for my next car--did you know they have some small hybrid SUVs now?