07 June 2008

Back to Blogging

So, I have taken quite the hiatus from blogging -- my last post was in November. The break was self-imposed, but, I have finally gotten over taking myself too seriously and decided to blog again. Most of you who spend any time at my blog (or will spend time at my blog -- since I have to re-introduce it now) know me well enough to know that taking myself too seriously is a life-long challenge for me.

You see, at my financial services company, I am the lawyer responsible for all things Web 2.0. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the risks and mitigation plans associated with information being improperly disclosed about the company in company-sanctioned blogs and the like, but, also what to do about seemingly harmless comments in employee's personal blogs and postings that nevertheless disclose confidential info about the company.

Back in the fall, it wigged me out to no end that not only did a neighbor find my blog, but, someone at work found it too. Enter the "taking myself too seriously" part, and work on the blog ceased.

What has changed? Have I magically come to terms with the thought that my clients might be able to read through my rants, inane observations, and lovingly documented cute stories about the boys? No. Have I come up with a fire-proof way to insulate my company against unwitting disclosures in personal blogs? No. But, I figure that the specter of that will ensure that I keep the blog as work-free as possible. And, if my clients want to read this blog -- all the power to them!

1 comment:

Kel Bel said...

I worry about these things from time to time. My general rule of thumb is not to write anything I wouldn't tell at a cocktail party. Luckily (or not) I will say just about anything after a couple of drinks :)