01 November 2007

Some Random Thoughts

* How depressing. Study after study shows that women just cannot win in the workplace. You either have the choice to be liked and not respected, or NOT liked, but have respect. This article talks about showing people four types of interviewees -- an angry man, an angry woman, a sad man, and a sad woman -- and telling them to assign a salary to the person. The person who was assigned the highest salary? The angry man. The person with the lowest salary? The angry woman. That makes ME angry -- guess it's time to reduce my bonus!

* In my last post, I was fussing about not "getting" RSS feeds. I learned this week why this was bothering me so much. We bought a new laptop this weekend -- our first new laptop since January 2003. And, on the Vista desktop, I saw the RSS feed newsreader, along with some other little programs that appeared to be able to hook up to the Internet. And then, at work, I learned that those other programs are something called "widgets" that sit on your computer, but, get fed constantly by the internet . . . just like the RSS feed newsreader. So, RSS feeds were just an initial iteration of this new technology!

* Halloween is LOTS of fun with a two-year-old.

* I just saw the end of American President -- it makes me think bad thoughts about George Bush even more than I normally do.

No comments: